2. Select All Services, and RDS under Database.
3. Select a region in the upper right corner. Select a region geographically close to you for best performance, but note that not all regions provides the free tier service.
4. Click the “Click Create Database” button.
5. Select PostgreSQL, and a version. The PlanMinder has been extensibly tested with version 12, so choose 12.8 or newer.
6. Select template. If you do not see the free tier option it is not available in the region you selected. Change region or select the Production template. You may want to select the production template for other reasons, like having more performance, the option to encrypt the database or the option to have a standby backup server.
7. Enter settings. You can change the DB instance identifier, and the Master username. You will use the master username later. Select a strong password.
8. Select DB instance class. If you are going for the free tier, stick with the default. Otherwise, find the most economic option that fits your need. The amount of RAM determines available connections, and how many simultaneous users you can have. Rule of thumb, the max limit increases by 50 per GiB, and by 20 with good performance. The PlanMinder does not generate a lot of data to store. It is measured in MiB, not in GiB. You can check how your selection affects the cost estimate at the bottom of the page.
9. Select storage. General purpose and 20 GiB should be enough. Checking Enable storage autoscaling will increase it if it ever becomes necessary.
10. Select Availability and durability. For free tier "Do not create a standby instance" is the only valid option.
11. Set connectivity. You need to set public access to Yes. It is advisable to select "Create new" for VPC security group, and give it a name.
12. Set database authentication to Password authentication.
13. Set Additional configuration. Expand this field, and write a name in the Initial database name field. This is the name of your database, and it will be used when logging in, and visible in the header of The PlanMinder application for all users.
You can review the other settings too, but the default settings will work.
14. Click the “Create Database” button, unless the estimated costs triggers you to make changes.